DAILY CATHOLIC FRI-SAT-SUN August 28-30, 1998 vol. 9, no. 169
NEWS & VIEWS |
POPE CONDEMNS CONGO KILLINGS, DEATH TOLL RISESVATICAN CITY (CWNews.com) - Pope John Paul II condemned the increase in violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Wednesday as new fighting erupted in the Central African nation's capital overnight.The Holy Father told his weekly general audience that he deplored the killing of civilians, including a priest and nuns. "I firmly deplore this criminal act," he said. "We pray to the Lord that these be the last victims of a war which has returned in a cruel way to beset the Congolese population." The MISNA religious news agency reported on Tuesday that 37 people, including a priest, a seminarians, and three nuns, were killed in a massacre by Rwandan rebels. On Wednesday the news agency raised the death toll in the attack to more than 100.
Meanwhile, new fighting broke out in Congo's capital,
Kinshasa, as the rebels launched an attack on President
Laurent Kabila. Congo has been embroiled in violence since
August 2 when President Kabila ordered Rwandan soldiers who
helped him come to power last year to leave the country. On
Sunday, the Holy Father called on all participants in the
conflict to respect life and return to negotiations.
|
Articles provided through Catholic World News Service. |
NEWS & VIEWS DAILY CATHOLIC |