|
|
Monday thru Friday on the CATHOLIC-INTERNET NETWORK at http://www.catholic-internet.org
See why so many consider the Daily CATHOLIC as the "USA Today for CATHOLICS!"
e-mail: DailyCatholic@catholic-internet.org
|
FRI-SAT-SUN
August 28-30, 1998
SECTION THREE   vol 9, no. 169
To print out entire text of Today's issue, print this section as well as SECTION ONE and SECTION TWO
WORLDWIDE NEWS & VIEWS with a
Catholic
slant
HEADLINES:
Pope uses Wednesday's Papal Audience to lament more deaths in Congo, deplores violence as deaths mount
His Holiness John Paul II returned to the Vatican on Wednesday for his weekly Papal Audience in Paul VI Hall with a heavy heart because of the massacres in the Congo that at first were reported at 37 deaths including a priest and three nuns but since has been revised to number 100 killings. The Holy Father called for an end to this senseless violence even as the rebels dug in deeper even though the President of the Congo has expelled them. For more, click on Papal Audience
POPE CONDEMNS CONGO KILLINGS, DEATH TOLL RISES
VATICAN CITY (CWNews.com) - Pope John Paul II condemned the
increase in violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo on
Wednesday as new fighting erupted in the Central African
nation's capital overnight.
The Holy Father told his weekly general audience that he
deplored the killing of civilians, including a priest and
nuns. "I firmly deplore this criminal act," he said. "We
pray to the Lord that these be the last victims of a war
which has returned in a cruel way to beset the Congolese
population." The MISNA religious news agency reported on
Tuesday that 37 people, including a priest, a seminarians,
and three nuns, were killed in a massacre by Rwandan
rebels. On Wednesday the news agency raised the death toll
in the attack to more than 100.
Meanwhile, new fighting broke out in Congo's capital,
Kinshasa, as the rebels launched an attack on President
Laurent Kabila. Congo has been embroiled in violence since
August 2 when President Kabila ordered Rwandan soldiers who
helped him come to power last year to leave the country. On
Sunday, the Holy Father called on all participants in the
conflict to respect life and return to negotiations.
Catholic and Muslim leaders meet to ease tension and break down the walls of misunderstanding in Kenya
Ecclesial leaders from the Roman Catholic diocese of Kenya, headed by the Archbishop, and the regional Moslem sects leader and his entourage met in Nairobi in an effort to begin breaking down the walls of misunderstanding between them in an effort to unite against the violence that has ravaged their country. In a spirit of ecumenism, they agreed to preach tolerance for other faiths and discourage any kind of retaliation which have arisen because of misunderstanding. For more, click on Kenya accord
CATHOLICS, MUSLIMS MEET IN KENYA TO DEFUSE TENSION
NAIROBI, Kenya (CWNews.com) - Kenyan Catholic and Muslim
leaders met in Nairobi on Tuesday in an effort to defuse
tensions between their religious followers in recent weeks.
Catholic Archbishop Ndingi a'Nzeki of Nairobi and Pro.
Abdul-Ghafur Al-Busaidy of the Supreme Council of Kenya
Muslims released a statement following the meeting calling
for increased understanding between Christians and Muslims
and then traced the evolution of the problem. Several weeks
ago, an American missionary in Nakuru made insulting remarks
against the Prophet Mohammed. Angered Muslims then burned a
church in Wajir and attacked a nun. Finally, Muslims felt
Christians blamed then for the bomb attack against the US
embassy by anti-American, radical Muslims.
The two leaders said religions and communities should not
be held responsible for acts of violence committed by
certain groups. They also reminded Christians and Muslims
that all Kenyans are working to better their country for
themselves and their children. The religious leaders also
agreed to preach tolerance and understanding to their
people and condemn acts of violence against followers of
other faiths.
Cuban Cardinal Calls for Vocations to manifest fruits of Holy Father's visit
From one will come many. That was the gist of Cardinal Jaime Ortega's hopes and prayers for his beloved Cuba after he ordained one priest last Saturday in Havana. He is prayerful the visit of the Holy Father in January has generated a rebirth of the faith and interest in the priesthood by the plethora of young Cuban men who before the papal visit may not have given it a thought. He issued the plea for more priests to serve the ever-growing Catholic population of Cuba and fulfill the Pope's request for evangelization to this tiny island entrenched in communism for so many years under dictator Fidel Castro. For more, click on Cuba.
CARDINAL ORTEGA CALLS FOR MORE PRIESTLY VOCATIONS IN CUBA
HAVANA (CWNews.com) - Cardinal Jaime Ortega y Alamino of
Havana, president of the Cuban Bishops' Conference, said on
Wednesday that Cuba is in urgent need of more priests to
minister to the increasing Catholic population and help in
the new evangelization the Church is undertaking.
The Archdiocese of Havana released the cardinal's short
homily given during a Mass last Saturday. At the Mass,
Cardinal Ortega ordained one priest and one deacon. "I hope
this Mass may touch the heart of many of you, young men
here, so you can follow Christ more closely and respond to
a priestly vocation if that is God's call," he said.
The cardinal congratulated the new priest and said that the
local Church "is expecting many more to come, because all
examples of generosity and fidelity to God's plan bring new
acts of generosity." The cardinal added, "The needs of our
Church are great, so we have to pray to the Lord so He may
send more workers to his fields." According to official
figures, Cuba has 288 priests and 496 religious women and
men to attend about 4.8 million Catholics in 253 parishes.
86 seminarians are studying for priesthood.
UN looking the other way in respect to Sudan Persecutions Christian Solidarity asserts
What good does it do to condemn human rights in a country such as the Sudan when it is not enforced? That was the question the Christian Solidarity International organization out of Switzerland posed strongly to the United Nations in criticizing the world-wide assembly for allowing persecutions in the Sudan perpetrated by rebels and Islamic interests at the expense of Christians. Without any teeth to their enforcement, the UN is useless according to the head of CSI. For more, click on Catholic Schools.
CHRISTIAN AID GROUP SLAMS UN ON SUDAN RECORD
GENEVA (CWNews.com) - A Swiss-based Christian aid group on
Thursday criticized the United Nations for failing to
condemn Sudan's human rights record in a report on
persecution around the world.
"It is very disappointing that the international community
has yet again failed hundreds of thousands of people in
Sudan who face starvation from man-made famine," John
Eibner of the Swiss-based Christian Solidarity
International (CSI) said. His comments followed a meeting
of the UN Sub-Committee on Prevention of Discrimination and
Protection of Minorities which condemned abuses in Kosovo
and Iraq.
Eibner said hundreds of people are dying every day in Sudan
in government- and rebel-held areas because aid flights are
being prevented from reaching the areas. He added that the
Islamic government is using the situation against rebels in
the mainly Christian and nativist south. "The UN itself has
confirmed the magnitude of the humanitarian crisis in
Sudan, but the sub-commission refuses to act," he said.
For more headlines and articles, we suggest you go to the Catholic World News site. CWN is not affiliated with the Daily CATHOLIC but provides this service via e-mail to the Daily CATHOLIC Monday through Friday.
PROVERB OF THE DAY
"Senseless is the man who gives his hand in pledge, who becomes surety for his neighbor."
Proverbs 17: 18
Click here to return to SECTION ONE and SECTION TWO or click here to return to the graphics front page of this issue.
August 28-30, 1998 volume 9, no. 169 DAILY CATHOLIC